Global Powers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Global Powers

A region on nationstates.net

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Article 1: Powers of the Officers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Almaniania

Almaniania

Article 1: Powers of the Officers Empty
PostSubject: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 2:16 pm

Hey guys,
Al here. Recently, there's been a few troubles on the powers of each Officer. I think we need to lay some groundwork and establish the powers that each has.
Here are a few of my suggestions.

President:
1. Veto laws (not amendments. Can be overturned by vote of 2/3 for)
2. Organize and cooperate with the Ministers and Chiefs
3. Call for Official Meetings (all Officers must be present.)

Vice President:
1. Temporarily replace any Ministers or Chiefs that must resign until elections are held.
2. Serve as Acting President if the current President is unable to perform until the President is able to do so
3. Serve as Acting President if the current President is forced to resign until new elections for President are held

Chief of Foreign Affairs:
1. Appoint diplomats
2. Member of the House of Lords in the NS Republic (or can appoint someone that position)
3. Cooperate with the President to create a foreign policy
4. Cooperate with the Minister of Finance on any Trade Treaties

Minister of Technology:
1. Create the technological policy of Global Powers
2. Propose new projects to develop by the region as a whole
3. Is the Head Scientist of any research project
4. Can cooperate with the Chief of Staff create subcommittees to focus on specific projects

Chief of Staff:
1. Ensure the cooperation and participation of all Officers
2. Cooperates with all Chiefs and Ministers to create new subcommittees and sub-positions
3. Is Acting Vice President should the Vice President be unable to perform his/her duties until the Vice President is able to
4. Is Acting Vice President should the Vice President be forced to resign until new elections are held
5. Is Acting President if the Vice President and the President are both unable to perform their duties until one of the two are able to
6. Is Acting President if the Vice President and the President have both resigned until new elections are held

Minister of Justice:
1. Presides over any cases involving grievances between two nations as the Chief Justice
2. Cooperates with the Chief of Foreign Affairs in any cases involving a member of Global Powers and a foreign member
3. Can order an injunction
4. Can order a subpeona if it is deemed necessary

Minister of Finance:
1. Cooperates with the President to create a regional budget
2. Cooperates with the Chief of Foreign Affairs to create Trade Treaties with other regions
3. Presides over the Stock Market of the Region (if we have one...)

WA Delegate:
1. Represents Global Powers in the World Assembly
2. Forms judgements on proposals in the World Assembly
3. Can remove foreign invaders from the region, should the Region Founder be unable to do so.

These are all my suggestions. Since this is an open ended discussion at this moment, I ask that others share their ideas on the different Office Positions and what their powers should be. Please propose constructive ideas and REMAIN CIVIL.

EDITS:
June 7, 7:26 PM- It has been suggested that WA Delegate and President be merged
June 8, 2:42 PM- Added two other powers to the Chief of Justice

Last edited by Almaniania on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:32 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Removed spoilers.)
Back to top Go down
Zonolia

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Good, but MoJ should be able to like veto laws also or something involoving laws even more.
Back to top Go down
Almaniania

Almaniania

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 4:21 pm

I thought about that. Ultimately though, I decided it should not really be part of it.
What I fear is the abuse of that sort of power. A person with that power can just block all laws and proposals that don't suit him/her. It's the equivalent of dictatorship.
Back to top Go down
Finium

Finium

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:26 pm

Actually I was thinking that we could do away with the president an delegate positions and combine them.
I mean, we are giving the executive branch it's full power, the power to represent the region elsewhere
Back to top Go down
Almaniania

Almaniania

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:52 pm

That might work... however, what if the President needs to leave? They can't, otherwise they lose their Delegateship.
Back to top Go down
Finium

Finium

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 5:53 pm

A simple sacrifice that comes with the job, besides, we do a vice president
Back to top Go down
Hahklallah

Hahklallah

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 8:13 pm

I agree with this proposition.
Back to top Go down
Zonolia

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 8:07 am

Yeah and if the vice tries to f with anyone or play mister badass pres. when the real one is away we always have NAE to ban them. And not abuse of power the MoJ needs to have more power.
Back to top Go down
Almaniania

Almaniania

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:33 am

The powers of President and the WA Delegate will be merged later today then.
As for MoJ, make up some other powers then. I refuse to add judicial review, because if someone biased takes that seat, they can merely declare every proposal they don't like unconstitutional... even if it's not.
Back to top Go down
Zonolia

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 11:29 am

I was just thinking about that...to make it fair. Yes, do add judicial review but to make it fair, a judge can only declare something unconstitutional 7 times a week and the GPSC (Global Powers Supreme Court) its self containing all members is higher than the MoJ then in order for something to be called unconstitutional it must get a majority vote by the GPSC. Also I was thinking what about a check and blanaces system...say the MoJ can claim a law to be unconsitutional (counts as one of the 7) where it will need a majority vote by the GPSC and a vote by the president to continue into law.
Back to top Go down
Almaniania

Almaniania

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 pm

We're having a crisis based on the lack of candidates for Offices. How can we even think to make a Supreme Court at this time?
On the issue of more powers for the MoJ, I'm adding a few things right now.
Back to top Go down
Zonolia

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 12:50 pm

Ok and like i said we are the court.
Back to top Go down
Almaniania

Almaniania

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 12:54 pm

I say we leave it to the members to decide whether to rule out a law. They can propose a repeal.
Since we have no Constitution, I will be writing up a Bill of Rights for Members.
Back to top Go down
North African Empire
Admin
North African Empire

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 3:22 pm

If I may suggest one thing here I believe that the offices of President and WA Delegate should remain completely independent of one another because if you start to think of it the nation holding (elected) the position of WA Delegate and President will hold too much power within the region itself and that is not very democratic in my opinion, but I am willing to dispute the fact with other members if they would like me too.
Back to top Go down
https://globalpowers.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Article 1: Powers of the Officers   Article 1: Powers of the Officers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Article 1: Powers of the Officers
Page 1 of 1